The two large pieces (each about 3’x5′) stapled to the walls in my studio are both done now
Two paintings today, both with underpainting in bright red and orange, but surface colours mostly blues
This one is my regular size, 80 cm sq
Title :’All manner of things I’ll never understand’
This is a big one, 160cm x 220 cm, unstretched canvas, stapled to the studio wall. ‘Is there anyone there?’
It started like this, a huge piece of primed canvas (160 x 258cm, the end of the roll), stapled to the floor.
It took up so much of the floor that I had to stand on it to get round it
After a while working on it on the floor, I got Malachy to help me hang it sideways on the wall
And then I turned it round the right way
I taped off the edges, built up more layers and thought it was done.
But something was unbalanced
So finally I took the plunge
There she blows!
Here’s a closeup
And here’s a photo montage
A good day!
And I just mean in my studio!
I have been reworking some old canvases and completely repainting some too
These 2 above are each 80cm sq
Here they are with another one the same size and a 65cm one on the end
Here’s a bigger reworked piece
120cm plus it’s frame also painted over
Here’s a fuller view of my favourites (today anyway) – with a sort of invasion of pink
This one and the last one below are a bit odd, and maybe not totally successful. But they were an important challenge for me in terms of structure, form and process. Each 80 cm plus frame