I haven’t quite known how to share my recent works and talk about them here up till now. I’m having a bit of ‘breakdown’ perhaps. Not an illness. Just in painting terms. I am experimenting with pouring paint. Over older dry paintings. It’s hard to explain why. Or what it means. I hope this aggressive, bold use of strong colour, with forms forming themselves, directed by gravity and manipulated by the tilt of the canvas or a blot with tissue, will lead somewhere. In the meantime maybe they can say something for themselves.
On Facebook a friend commented that I am bringing graffiti and vandalism into the studio. Yes! I think the friend is right. Sometimes we need to force a change. To fight off the status quo.
Posted in paint overs, studio
- Tagged abstract expressionism, change, climate change, cold wax, contemporary art, disaffection, experimental, expressionism, graffiti, green, protest, rebellion, time for a change, tipping point, vandalism
2 canvases each 100 x 80cm (39 x 31.5″)
As 2016 draws to a close I’m trying, against the odds, to look ahead to 2017 with hope.
Hope that we will all be mindful of anything we can do that helps rather than hinders. In so many areas. For Peace. For People. For the Planet
The paintings above are called ‘blood and concrete’.
Posted in artasprotest, canvas, cold wax, colour, Donegal, environment, hope, Ireland, multiples / panoramas, nature, painting, solidarity, studio
- Tagged abstract expressionism, climate change, Liz Doyle, peace, pollution, poverty
Oil and cold wax medium on canvas
4 of them are 80 x 100cm, the other 2, 80cm sq
The possible title for the series is “Oceans – a tipping point?”
Posted in 2016 election, artasprotest, canvas, cold wax, colour, environment, hope, methods, multiples / panoramas, nature, painting, studio
- Tagged Abstract art, abstract expressionism, climate change, global warming, Liz Doyle, Oceans, pollution
Just finished this diptych
2 canvases each 80 x 100cm so the whole piece is 80 x 200cm
Thinking of making the same idea on canvases at least twice the size
Posted in canvas, cold wax, colour, Donegal, Ireland, masking tape, methods, multiples / panoramas, painting, studio
- Tagged abstract, Abstract art, abstract expressionism, abstraction, climate change, environment, Liz Doyle, wind
cotton canvas approx 2 x 3metres, stapled to my new studio extension wooden wall
oil and cold wax medium, graphite stick and oilbar
Posted in cold wax, colour, Donegal, Ireland, multiples / panoramas, painting, studio
- Tagged abstract, climate change, cold wax medium, expressionism, heart, Liz Doyle, map, oil, process, weather, world